General Summary or Position Purpose:
The College Counselor will ensure that all Fulfillment Fund high school students are aware of high school graduation and A-G eligibility requirements. Provide students with a graduation plan and educate them on their post-secondary options. Prepare students for making a successful transition to college and assist Fulfillment Fund students in pursuing their academic goals.
- Responsible for the coordination, implementation, and supervision of day-to-day college counseling needs.
- Responsible for overseeing college advisement for all Fulfillment Fund high school students, creating & implementing programs and meeting both individually and/or in small groups with students during their junior and senior years to help them formulate individualized college or post-secondary access plans and to apply for and evaluate financial aid plans, as well as to provide options and alternatives to these post-secondary plans.
- Advise College Access Program high school students on course selection, admissions testing, building of a co-curricular profile to make themselves more attractive to colleges, and to encourage students to find their strengths and abilities.
- Enter student’s college counseling data in the Fulfillment Fund database in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain relationships with students, individual colleges, partner non-profits, high school personnel, and other outside agencies. Act as a Fulfillment Fund liaison and partner with organizations and institutions both at the local and national levels; act as the internal Fulfillment Fund coordinator for special opportunities offered by colleges for Fulfillment Fund students to visit or attend universities for special programs.
- Participate in college trips when deemed necessary sponsored by the Program Events department and others in cooperation with the College Access Program.
- Assume a major role with Destination College, College Site Visits, Essay Writing Workshops, Application Workshops, Financial Aid Counseling, Fulfillment Fund University, and other workshops and activities organized by the Counseling and Scholarship Department.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of College Counseling to provide content and review/revise lessons within the Fulfillment Fund’s College Access Curriculum.
- Assist in the college counseling training of Program Staff members. Advise the CAP Team in the execution of the curriculum related to college counseling.
- Facilitate the financial aid training for staff. Provide financial aid counseling for students.
- Assist with transfer advisement, when needed.
- Maintain a professional social media account to promote the work of the organization.
- Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment.
- Occasional weekend/evening work.
The position may supervise college counseling consultants, student interns, and temporary employees, as necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficient in use of standard information technologies including Microsoft software, the worldwide web and Education Edge Database.
- Minimum of three years experience in the educational sector and/or non-profit sector.
- Broad and deep understanding of the A-G requirements and the college admissions process.
- Broad understanding of financial aid.
- Knowledge about specific colleges and their specialties and programs.
- Bilingual Spanish/English language skills extremely desirable.
- Awareness and understanding of first generation college issues extremely desirable.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.